This game is part of the RPGLatAm Collection!
fantasypunk - ashcan
A downloadable anti-power fantasy
There is a crack in everything. That is how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
This is a game about complex, troubled, wondrous, and broken people. The people who create problems and who solve problems, and about how often both are the same people.
No one can guarantee that the rough-edged and jaded stories told here won't be, in time, worn down by the tongues of storytellers into shapes perfectly smooth, rounded, and solid; that the people we care about here won't be turned into paragons of strength, wisdom, or virtue who always seem to figure out what to do, or always get the specific help they need when they get stuck.
But until then, let's look at what burdens those complex, troubled, wondrous, and broken people carry, and how they crack under their weight.
fantasypunk is a narrative game of incredible and fallible characters, the way they approach the world around them, and the burdens they carry.
Together we will weave tales of wanderers, travelers, the found and the lost, the seekers and the runaways, the people they meet, the friends they make along the way, and that change and are changed by them.
To play fantasypunk you'll need:
|- a player to be the Giramundo, or GM, a kind of host and guide for the game;
- a group of 3 to 5 players to be the Party Companions: the PCs. You can stray from that - - range, but I can’t promise it will work as well;
- at least one six-sided die (d6), although at 5 or 6 of them is better;
- writing materials, analog or digital, whatever;
- and the basic rules for this game as a reference;
- about 3 or 4 hours to play together: have breaks when necessary;
- a safe, welcoming, comfortable environment to play, physically or online;
- an agreement on safety tools, tone, and expectations for each session you play.
If you are looking for a hypercapitalist murder-pillage power fantasy game, this is not it; there are incredible games out there that examine those fantasies, offering us different perspectives on them.
Alternatively, there's that racist dragon game of colonization and gentrification owned by white billionaires.
If you choose to be a bigot, a racist, a fascist, or a nazi, make yourself a favour, crawl back into the slimy pit you crawled out from, and stay away from anything I make.
After all, the real monsters are those who choose to be and remain monstrous.
|The quickstart includes:|
- 6 Threads - starter settings and scenarios;
- 4 Starter Backgrounds;
- 10 Special Moves.
Goals for the final release:
- 18 Backgrounds with random tables and flavourful descriptions;
- 36 Special Moves;
- Pointcralw/Hexcrawl Generator;
- A challenge system; A system for delving through tight situations;
- A starter adventure designed to ease GMs and PCs into the rules;
- Alternative dice systems to accommodate different player needs.
In order to download this anti-power fantasy you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $5 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Community Copies and Contribution Accessibility
Support this anti-power fantasy at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
PIX Contributions for Brazil
if you are in Brazil and you want to contribute something, from 1 cent to a million bucks, but you are paywalled by not having a credit card, access to PayPal, or because of currency exchange, you can leave me a direct contribution through PIX using this key:
or the QR Code below:
Free Community Copies
community copies are available for free for people from the Global South, and/or the LGBTQIA+ and BIMPoC communities who cannot afford any contribution due to issues such as a currency or financial vulnerability.
there will always be community copies available (if by any chance I forget to renew the pool, drop a comment).
if you have taken a community copy from the pool, consider taking a moment to leave a helpful review, feedback about the game, or a 5-star rating to help boost the game's visibility.
- #16 - Mechanics - Core MovesNov 23, 2022
- #15 - huge update comingJun 26, 2022
- #14c - Now with a Character KeeperMay 26, 2022
- #14b - Forgot to add the docx fileMay 23, 2022
- #14 - Epub and PDF are up!May 23, 2022
- #13 - The quickstart page is completeMay 19, 2022
- #12 - fantasypunk QuickstartMay 17, 2022
- #11 - A Long Due UpdateMar 10, 2022